Monday, January 16, 2012

Backyard Experiment


DH has converted our former pool pump house into a chicken coop. 


The girls arrived a week ago. A Barred Rock, an Ameracana, a Rhode Island Red and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They were hatched in late October so we don't expect eggs until April. 
We're still trying to figure each other out. 


Rusty is obsessed with the new smells and sounds. I don't think he will be allowed in the yard when the chickens are out of the coop. Sigh. 
I had hoped he could control himself.


I just planted a small garden of greens today. Swiss Charred, Collards and bib lettuce. The package says they are frost tolerant and should produce in 50 days. 
I can't wait.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Jon's pullets look healthy. I seem to remember chickens scratching at insects and worms in our garden. I wonder if they like greens.